Real Moxie

Woebegone troglodyte hermitage.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Bad advice from Dear Abby

Dear Abby gives bad advice. Today's letter says:
DEAR ABBY: My husband, "Justin," and I have been together 12 years, married for five. We get along well, except for one thing, his so-called "jokes."

Rather than coming out and saying I've done something that bothers him, Justin will make a sarcastic comment, then insist he's "just kidding." If I forget to turn off a light, he'll say something like, "So, you're trying to make sure the electric company doesn't go out of business -- right?" ...

How can I get through to him that what he's doing isn't "joking"; it's avoiding accountability for his comments? -- NOT AMUSED IN VERMONT
If that is her biggest complaint, then they have a great marriage. I would tell her to be grateful for what she has. Dear Abby says that he has an incurable passive aggression condition, and recommends counseling.

Another letter from a 13-year-old boy complains about her mother's boyfriend. The boy doesn't even live with his mother, but he says:
I need help to get her to leave this guy because mental abuse leaves a scar on your life that causes you to hate and fear others.
I would tell the kid to mind his own business. Someone is putting meddlesome ideas in his head. Dear Abby suggests calling a domestic violence hotline.